Saturday 28 July 2007

Seen the SUN and the SEA this week


Had a busy week. Been to visit my brother and his wife in the country. Although seen some rain it has also been a little sunny. We went to Southwold on Wednesday and saw the sea. It was great to spend some time with them. They have a fantastic garden with beautiful flowers and they also grow vegetables. Very peaceful. On the way home we stopped at a lovely village called Lavenham. There are the most lovely old buildings there including the Guild Hall, which belongs to the National Trust now. There are a couple of antique shops and at one I bought a large tin of old buttons for just £8. I also added to Sarah's collection of hankies, but I will leave her to blog about them. Here are some of said buttons. There are some fantastic ones. I love tins of buttons and used to enjoy playing with them when I was a child.


The guy who was doing the paving has managed to beat the weather and has finished. We need to repaint the walls now and move some of the plants in pots back and then I can show you all our tiny new patio. All we need is the weather.

The garden is looking very sorry for itself. I have a lot of work to do in it during the next week. Si has been able to cut the grass earlier this evening so I will weed and tidy as a break from painting tomorrow as the weather forcast is for no rain here. No French beans but the sweet peas are begining and other things such as the hydrangeas and poppies look good.


Yes we finally have some sweet peas. Looking forward to loads more I hope. We need sun now to help all the other plants along. Jenny one week from today you will have arrived from Australia for your visit. I have ordered the tickets for the quilt fair. I got the OLP rate!!

15 comments:

Everything Stops for Tea said...

errr.... Mother, what is the OLP rate... is that anything like the OAP rate...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary said...

Actually it was deliberate Its the Old Limping Persons rate cus thats what I will be doing after several hours walking round there!!!!

Sandi McBride said...

Don't know which I prefer, the buttons or the flowers...okay, the flowers...you twisted my arm!

Anonymous said...

I thought the buttons looked fabulous until I saw those Hydrangeas. They are sensational!
I feel so homesick just looking at the beautiful flowers. You know I always love your garden in the springtime, and have been lucky to witness it one previous visits but these summer flowers are now my favourite. BTW if you are thinking that I am bringing the sunshine, well, I don't know, It's rained a lot here too for weeeks. Mind you, we've been in drought for nine years so the rain is very welcome.See you all soon.
Jen

Rosemary said...

Hi Mary,
Thanks so much for visiting my blog.
Your flowers are beautiful. Love the buttons too.
Rosemary

Country Cottage Chic said...

Those are lovely buttons - hunting through a button tin is great fun - it used to be one of my favourite things when I was a tot (according to my mum!)

Angel Jem said...

Love the buttons and the flowers... all the post needed to be perfect was a gratuitous shot of a really decent cake!

Kara said...

oh buttons, love buttons, they should be currency.
The flowers are looking gorgeous Mary, I am so jealous my garden is such a state at the mo.
Kara
xxx

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

I love vintage buttons!!!

Mia said...

The old buttons you have bought are very nice endeed. I too like old (and new) buttons and collect them i tincans. But so far I have not figured out what to do/how to use them. So inside the cans they stay...

Your flowers look lovely. I do hope you will get some more sun (as I do hope we will as well). Your sweet peas look lovely, as do the hydrangeas. My sweet peas have finally started to bloom and their scent is ever so lovely.

Papoosue said...

Hi Mary, I love your story about Sophie at Bournemouth! - exactly why I have a change of clothes in the car.

Oh the buttons are gorgeous - I do love old buttons too. I can remember digging my hand into my mum's button box and just letting all the buttons slip through my fingers.

The Nostalgia Fairy said...

Hi Mary, Those buttons are just lovely but the poppies are my absolute favourite, I love them and yours are such a pretty colour.

Merisi said...

Such beautiful buttons, lovely hydrangeas (have you seen the lace hyrangeas on my Strawberry Fields?), and the Sweet Peas make me nostalgic for my friend back in Florence. Her favorite flowers.

AC said...

Hi Mary,
Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog. I have linked to you if that is OK!
Buttons and sweetpeas what more could a woman want:-)
Take care,
Alison x

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary,

I love the poppies - such a pretty colour. The buttons are great too.

I found you via Rose's Petite Maison. You have a lovely blog.

Marie x